Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Radical Sons - Throwing Knives (2009)


BEST NEW RELEASE WEEK OF 7/7/09

I know, I know... I'm a week late on the gun here. But I hope you can cut me some slack; this came out last week and I just started this blog yesterday; this is my first new release review. Definitely my favorite album from last week, which is way I just this album in particular. Throwing Knives is a group made up of two best friends from St. Louis that got together to enjoy quality music like the Velvet Underground and Television while everyone else around them was listening to crap. They toured with some relatively big name bands after forming, including Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin and Little Joy. This EP has been in the making since last summer and finally it's here! Radical Sons play their own unique blend of early 90's alternative and pop punk, with clear influences from Television, the Velvet Underground and Dinosaur, Jr - just a lot less noisier and a bit poppier. What's more, they successfully capture the feel of those legendary bands; the feel that they are living for their music in a world where they don't really fit in and it's what they live for. They also definitely listened to Built to Spill, and the midwest sort of sound of BTS shows in their music, but they do it a lot better. A nice raw, lo-fi but by no means unaccessible recording sound goes perfectly with the sound Radical Sons were going for, making the album just that much better. The second half of the album is all acoustic, and contains demos of 4 of the 5 full songs included, excluding Throwing Knives, plus a demo of a song called Scavenger. These guys are definitely a band to watch, with a return to a sound I haven't heard many bands get right since the early/mid 90's. And for their debut EP, it's pretty damn amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment